Advice for a Brit living in Stockholm please!

Feel free to write anything.

Topic author
speediii

Advice for a Brit living in Stockholm please!

Postby speediii » Thu Jul 09, 2009 4:35 pm

(Posted this airsoft.se by mistake!)

Have been living in Sweden for a few years and on a recent trip back to the UK got re-interested in shooting (rabbits / wood pigeons) with my Weihrauch. I was thinking about buying the FX Verminator here in Sweden from Hurricane (http://www.luftvapen.se) but have a few questions:

1. I assume this is a licence free gun (i.e. not over 12ft/lbs)? Or ok to buy here in Sweden without any licence..?
2. As I don’t know anyone here who has a farm with a rat problem ;-) I’d be using it as a target practice machine, BUT, when I travel to the UK I’d like to take it with me. Question is, can I check this in on a flight with my luggage? The FX verminator breaks down to a very travel friendly size, but wondered what the rules were for putting an airgun in your suitcase?!
3. In the UK, we are allowed to shoot rabbits, pigeons, magpies (‘skata’) and so forth. I’d imagine Sweden being a little “You need permission from the kommun to shoot anything” – is this true? Any links to Swedish rules & regulations would be most welcome (I read Swedish pretty well)
4. Because of my travel requirement, and that living in Stockholm I’d have to travel to use it anyway, I think the break down FX Verminator would be a good choice. Does anyone have any good advice on this, or anything else I should consider? Being British you’d think I might go BSA, but I think the FX models are simply top of the line from what I’ve read. They are very expensive in the UK & America compared to Sweden, bit like SAAB’s and are considered exotic. FX Verminator in the UK currently retails at about 10,500sek at current exchange rates.
5. Finally, could someone recommend a good scope / Silencer for the FX Verminator – mid-range good-all-round and will fit in the foam box that the FX Verminator comes with?

Thanks very much!

John Doe

Re: Advice for a Brit living in Stockholm please!

Postby John Doe » Thu Jul 09, 2009 6:31 pm

1. The powerlimit in Sweden is 10 joules at 4 meters from the muzzle and this goes for both air rifles and air pistols.

2. There should be no problem to travel with an airgun that is non-FAC in both countrys but the best thing is always to check with the authority in both countrys (Police, customs od).

3. You are allowed to use airguns for "skyddsjakt på enskilds initiativ" (pestcontrol of private need), however you must also be able to prove your need if questions are rised by the Police about this.

The limit for using an airgun for pestcontrol is at least 600 fps in calibre 22 or larger.

4. I think the Verminator would suit your needs just perfect, another option would be the AA TDR 410.

5. Sound Moderators are on ticket only, a special permit is needed to own and use such device for airguns here in Sweden.

_Axel_
Airgun Pro (Heavy)

Postby _Axel_ » Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:18 pm

eaiser to get a permit for a "real gun" than a "FAC" airgun tho!
Den som äter soppa med gaffel silar sovlet från buljongen.

Elvis
Senior Airgun Pro

Postby Elvis » Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:30 pm

_Axel_
In some parts of Sweden...
Riktiga Män Väger 3-siffrigt.... -Obeväpnade!!!

Air Arms EV2 MkIII
FX Gladi8or .22 (Fullt Flås)
FX Independence .25
FWB 300s Match .177 (Under service)
FWB 300s Universal .177 (10J) (3st Guld...)
FWB C60 (Under ombyggnad)
Diana 52 .22 (02/88)
Crosman 2240

En jäkel på att ta guld med en FWB 300U...

Topic author
speediii

Postby speediii » Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:14 pm

Thanks for your answers. I've searched for "skytteklubb" in Stockholm and couldn't find anything. Can anyone recommend a good club in the Stockholm area I could join for target shooting? If I enjoy it maybe I'd go for something else better for target shooting? Would be good to check out a club before I decide anything.

I have a few Swedish mates who have their hunting licence, but personally I'm not interested in shooting Elk etc, not interested in killing big animals - I don't need the meat, and I think waiting quietly in a raised hide at 5am for a poor Elk to wander passed to not be in my nature, I don't think that is a fair game, and wouldn't feel comfortable with that at all.

But I would be interested in Clay Pigeon (lerduvor?) and bird shooting trips...

Is there a club in Stockholm that I can visit?

Thanks again guys

_Axel_
Airgun Pro (Heavy)

Postby _Axel_ » Fri Jul 10, 2009 11:02 am

The most lively and freindly shooting extant in sweden is pistolfältskytte! I suggest u contact pistolclubs in your area asap, as it can be long wait b4 they have any introduction courses. I know ppl in your area that travels 100km to join a club, I was a member of a club in Hallstavik (100km north of u) that had shooters from Stockholm. Dont let this discouarge u tho its worth the trouble and red tape...

I recomend u contat ppl on Robsoft forum or skytteforum.com for details!

For shooting with long guns u will need to join a jaktskytteklubb, most of their shooting, in some cases all, is claytarget. Most popular is Nordisk trap, and Skeet (local variety). Ive never felt jaktskyttekubbar as freindly or fun as pistolskytteklubbar.

There is also competetive shooting with rifles, both fältskytte and ISSF, for this u kontakt http://www.skyttesport.se/ .

Air rifles are mostly used for shooting on priovate propery here. I dare guess most ppl with +10J rifles are law breakers, its not seen as a big crime by the general public to improve performance.
Den som äter soppa med gaffel silar sovlet från buljongen.

rigor
Entusiast

Postby rigor » Fri Jul 10, 2009 3:03 pm

Speediii
I don't know wherre you live in Stockholm but I think you should visit Haninge Jaktskytte Klubb when they open again.
http://www.hjk.se/
I took my hunting license there and it's an awsome shootingrange. :up
I see dead pixels

Topic author
speediii

Postby speediii » Fri Jul 10, 2009 6:19 pm

Thanks again guys for helping me find the right words to google :-)

I've sent a mail to these guys

http://www.brommajk.com

They are closer to me and I've asked them if I can come down to meet them.

Return to “English forum”